Thursday 3 July 2008

A tribute to selfless generosity

A big thank you to Liisa, Florian and all the strangers who have greeted me with such kindness on the journey so far.



In Copenhagen Liisa Bassett, an old friend of my mother's, provided food, shelter, transport and great company. Especially welcome in a city where a bread roll costs £1.20! If you get a change to see a play by Nina Larissa Bassett, do. Both mother and daughter are working hard to retain the fading liberalism of Denmark.

In Hamburg my former flatmate's brother, Florian Oediger, gave up a day of only his second free weekend since completing his thesis to show me the Hanseatic sights of Hamburg and help me blag my way into the public screening of the European Championship final. I was an international sports journalist for the evening. I'm just sorry that your team didn't win Florian.

Then there are the Swedes in the Cologne jazz bar, the crazy Croat and the Roskilde veteran, amongst others, who have all made my European leg of the journey so much more colourful.

No comments: